Thursday 29 January 2009

Font-tastic Four

Potato type
This type face was created in 2002 for an D&AD breif .If I rember correctly the breif was to design a  typeface called potato unfortunately I dont remember much more than that.
However I have contacted the designer who created this through face book the converastion so far

ME:
hi may be a bit strange request but ur work was featured in the 2002 D&AD book. it was of a font made of potato's/yams

I have to write a brief report on a type face we like i remembered this one if u have a spare 2 mins can u tell me about it difficulties incurred technique anything?
i would be most Greatfull 
even 3 lines would help me a great deal ( mucho brownie points)

ps r u still doing graphic design



Her
....intrigued....tell me bit more about the brief....who is it for....yes i am working - freelance around the london agencies......not sure i remember you - how did you know about project? sorry questions - I am a woman!!!


ME:
understandably you would ask some questions please let me explain, Am not in anyway trying to plagiarize ur work or use it as my own, as a designer u do have to be careful about these things

I'm a was a design student in 2002 (many moons ago) and entered the D&AD, think I chose the breif about designing illustrations for zodiac signs. anyway during this exhibition(in london smwhr cant rembr) everyone recieved a D&AD student awards book that featured the best work of students .ur work was in this book I always remembered it and still have the book.

6 years later...
God it is difficult to get a design job so back to uni to do a MA to possibly open up some doors
working on typography brief for uni (not my best subject)
brief ;pick two type faces we like and write an small essay on them.
remembering ur type face in 2002 book thought what better way to find out about a type face than speak to the typographer herself. thru the wonders of facebook.

but if u cud literaly tell me anything about ur work i mean anything how long it took ( the potato type face) any difficulties
whether you were enjoyed doing it. i understand u probly have more pressing things to do with ur time but anyting (1/4 of the size of this mammoth letterr)will do its only a small 2 week brief 

Many thanx gavin bailey

I like this because it is somthing different to the other entries to say its organic would be an understatement although the peices cut out of the potato look like they have been made by a machine (drill,or something)  

I also have some of the runner ups

I like the runner up in the midde who took a street art style aproach unfortunately was unable to contact them through facebook


No comments: